March 16, 2009

Sexting, Texting & Other Disturbing Dating Trends

News reports say that sexting, or the act of sending a text message that contains sexual content, is the latest in disturbing trends among teenagers. However, I would challenge the media to take a longer look at the practice. Adults are engaging in sexting just as often, if not more, than today's kids. In fact, I would count sexting among a number of disturbing trends I uncovered while actively participating in the dating world over the last six months.

Did I personally receive sex messages? Yes. Many times. Text messages and emails were sent to me containing pictures, videos and sexually explicit invitations. Initially, I didn't know how to respond. I was in shock for a moment before I was a little hurt and then angry. What kind of girl does a guy have to think you are before he sends you a dirty message?

Text messages in general have become such an accepted method of communication that I actually think it inhibits the dating process and not just when the messages are of a sexual nature. I am very comfortable with texting. Too comfortable maybe because I often find myself choosing to type out a message rather than make a phone call. So much is lost in translation when a conversation lacks tonality and rhythm and volume. Twice I had dates cancel on my via text message. TWICE. So now it's acceptable for guys to cancel without calling?

Sexting and texting are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the lack of etiquette in this system that dating has become. All the rules from my twenties are null and void. The "3 dates before sex" rule apparently doesn't exist any more. Either does the "meet in a public place for the first date" rule. "The guy pays" rule is totally out the window too. For the last six months, I have felt like I've been living on another planet. I'm an alien in the new dating world.

I am a big fan of fashion trends and car trend and travel trends. But dating trends? Most of them, I can live without.

No comments: