November 12, 2008

Out of Your League

A friend of mine said something interesting the other night. She said, "Michele, guys don't know when they are out of their league." And I've seen evidence to that. I would never consider myself out of a guy's "league" but I do know when I am not a good match for someone. Men seem a little more naive about that.

I hate to keep referring tot he online profile but I must. Your online dating profile is your resume. It speaks of your experience, outlines your desires and details talents. When you post a resume on a job site, you choose the categories or industries in which you would like to work. When you post a profile on a dating site, you select preferences for your mate.

When sifting through the resumes on a job site, employers look for characteristics that are suitable for their open positions. If you have an extensive background in finance, a bank may contact you. If you have years of experience as a forklift driver, the bank is going to pass you over and keep looking.

So it seems to reason, if an online dating profile says "seeking a man between 30 & 40 years of age," guys who are 59, for example, should pass over that resume and keep looking. Or an online dating profile might say, "I'm a tall woman with a little more to love" and viewers of that profile who are obsessed with the gym and would rather not date a woman who weighs over 150 should not even attempt contact. It just ends badly and quite frankly, you're out of your league. Your league is the one with all the petite girls.

It's funny because all for this resume and profile business reminds me of the whole "NO MEANS NO" thing. "No" does not mean maybe. "No" is not another word for "I'll think about it." "No" is not code for "if you keep asking, I might change my mind."

My advice to everyone dating online would be this: read carefully. Know your limits. Know which team your playing for and don't try to play outside of your league.

No comments: