November 5, 2008

I'm Dating

So now, I'm dating. Because I enjoy meeting new people and getting to know them, dating strangers doesn't really cause me an anxiety. I look at it as an opportunity to make a friend, not as an interview for a husband.

Dating has always seemed like such a farce to this overly cynical single female. People putting their best feet forward, sporting their best date-night outfits, wearing their best, most sparkling smiles... And there are so many rules. Never kiss on the first date. Sex after the third date. Keep dates short. Make the man pay. Not only am I cynical when it comes to dating, I am also rebellious when rules are forced upon me.

So I decided there was only one way to jump into the dating world. MY WAY.

My way involves meeting people and hanging out. We don't call it dating and we certainly don't follow any silly rules. Removing all those details which are impossible to remember anyway, makes it easier to just get to know a person.

My way also includes activity or something I really like so I know I'll have a good time even if my date is a dud. Whether we go bowling or watch a game at a bar or just have some good wine on a patio somewhere, I am entertained (& hopefully so is he). I also feel like a guy has a better chance of seeing the real me if I am having fun.

Finally, my way means going with the flow. If a guy can't handle spontaneity, it shows early. And I know, he might have a hard time wrangling me in. So, while having basic plans in place is necessary, changing it up in the midst can keep things interesting!

At this point, I have met some very nice people and had a nice time. But, the truth is, I am left with the feeling that, I would really just like to hang out with my friends. I can have this much fun with them...

Nothing dazzling or exciting or life-changing yet, dear readers. But... I'm dating.

No comments: