September 29, 2008

Site to Site to Site

A quick, initial comparison of online dating sites leads me to believe that all sites do not work for all people. I have three friends who have found husbands on eHarmony. THREE! And I have another friend who met his wife on Match.com. I know there are a lot of one night stand coming out of sites like craigslist and plentyoffish but that's not what I'm looking for. (I can find that on the dance floor at any bar on Beale Street.) So which site is going to work for me?

A portion of eHarmony's mission statement says "At eHarmony, our patented Compatibility Matching System® narrows the field from millions of candidates to a highly select group of singles that are compatible with you." In my first month on eHarmony, I was matched with over 100 men. I narrowed my settings so they were very specific. Against the suggestion of my friends, I even said that my partner's height was extremely important to me. yet I was still matched with over 100 men, in my area. I am thinking this compatibility system might be a little flawed when it comes to matching me. The OTHER thing I don't like about this site is your ability to cut off communication with a potential match by selecting OTHER as your reason. Is there a better way to give a girl a complex? Even worse? The reason that says "based on statements in their profile, I'm not interested..." Really? Thanks for passing judgment...

Match.com says "We go well beyond the obvious factors like age, interest and zipcode. You can even search by individual MatchWords to really zero in. Our member profiles give you great insight into the unique essence of our members so you can really get to know them before you get to meet them." So far, I've met a couple of guys. We haven't gone out yet but dates are in the works. Most guys seem to be looking for just about anything on Match.com and don't get very specific in their WANTS on their profiles. All I'm saying is if you don't want a big girl like me, you should SAY IT UP FRONT instead of waiting until it's too awkward or you're too chicken to 'fess up.

I am on cupid.com but I haven't really visited since I registered and I haven't gotten any notifications that anyone is interested. (Not surprised, honestly.) And, tonight, I will be giving CrazyBlindDate.com a look-see.

If you have suggestions for any other sites I should check out. Let me know. AdultFriendFinder is NOT an option people. I browsed. It was enjoyable for a moment. A fleeting, passing, moment.

No comments: